Program #13 The "New" Periodontal Disease: "Inflammatory and Risky"
Samuel B. Low, DDS, MS, M. Ed Silver Educational Sponsor: Sunstar Americas, Inc.
Audience Code: D, H, A 3 CEUs/Clinical Lecture
Periodontitis has entered into a new frontier as not only a major chronic infection but moreover a disease of chronic inflammation. Recent studies demonstrate that the incidence of periodontitis has been underestimated by 50%. Determining who is at risk and the corresponding therapy and management is a significant component of effective treatment. Dental school provides the science. This course transforms the science into the actual dental practice and case acceptance
- Managing inflammation as a systemic and local immune response
- Treating periodontitis as a major chronic inflammatory systemic disease
- Considering genetics, diet (probiotics/nutraceuticals) , and stress as variables in controlling disease
- Determining the role of traditional and non-traditional therapies in controlling periodontitis
- Utilizing risk assessment to determine susceptibility
- Incorporating the paradigm: periodontal medicine into the practice
SEE HANDOUT PAGE for ATTENDEE LECTURE MATERIAL (available in September)