Program 11 Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office*
Peter A. Vellis, DDS
Audience Code: D, H, A ,O 2.5 CEUs/Clinical
*This program meets the dental emergencies training criteria credit requirement.
Medical emergencies in the dental office are rare. Many can be life threatening and can forever change the life of everyone involved. In this lecture, we will understand how a thorough medical history and a comprehensive physical examination will identify potential at risk patients. We will help the dental team establish an office emergency plan and review the most common emergencies encountered in the dental office and how to treat them. More importantly, it will help you establish a protocol to prevent them.
SEE HANDOUT PAGE for ATTENDEE LECTURE MATERIAL (coming soon)
- How to recognize signs and symptoms of an emerging preoperative, and post-operative complication in the health care setting
- How to identify patients that may be at risk for a potential complication
- How to establish a timely response to stabilize the patient after calling emergency medical services (EMS)
- Essential elements of an emergency kit in the professional health care setting
- Unique issues that relate to the aging population