FACTS ABOUT FLUORIDE
FACT: The Science, Safety and Effectiveness of Fluoride is Proven
- Primary care doctors, pediatricians, dentists, hygienists, dental assistants and public health experts are all encouraging communities to continue to support water fluoridation for its proven oral health benefits.
- The American Dental Association, American Medical Association, American Academy of Family Physicians, American Academy of Pediatricians, American Association of Public Health Dentistry and the World Health Organization, all support the science, safety and effectiveness of water fluoridation.
- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recognized water fluoridation as one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century.
FACT: Fluoride Improves Health
- Communities that use fluoride have much lower rates of cavities, dental disease and other costly oral health problems.
- Fluoride is a proven, low cost way to improve public health and help reduce health care costs. It has been a proven tool for improving public health for 70 years.
- Currently, nearly 60% of communities in Vermont benefit from fluoride. Increasing the number of communities that choose fluoride is a priority for the Vermont State Dental Society and a key component of the Vermont Action for Dental Health
FACT: Fluoride Reduces Health Care Costs
- Reducing the number of cavities, dental disease and other oral health problems helps to save you money and reduce health care costs overall.
- According to the CDC, every $1 spent on fluoridation, saves about $38 in dental treatment costs. In Vermont, fluoride can cost as little as $2 per person. One small filling costs about $100.
- Protecting and improving oral health helps to reduce rates of other costly and debilitating diseases like diabetes and heart disease, which are linked to poor oral health diseases.